Monday, November 10, 2008

love languages

My favorite conversation topic: love languages

Gary Chapman, author of "The Five Love Languages", lists five categories. They include words of affirmation, quality time, receiving gifts, acts of service, and physical touch.

My dad is an excellent example of communicating through acts of service. For the past four years I have moved from place to place and he is always the one to get me there and settled in. It was no different last month when I moved here to New York.

In preparation for the move, my dad wanted to ensure that everything would fit in our van. He measured the available space as well as every item that I would be taking with me. He mapped out the back of the van on a piece of paper and labeled the dimensions of the larger items. The night before I left, my dad carefully and methodically placed everything where he had planned. It all fit, and I felt so loved.

No comments: